How Public Breastfeeding Photography is Changing the World

I have 4 children, ages 8 to 15. I breastfed them all, but it was a tough journey. Breastfeeding was very important to me, it just did not come easy.
My first 2 babies were premature, and that presented some unique challenges.  Advocating for my baby and myself did not come easily, being that I am a soft-spoken person and that I was quite anxious about the well being of my babies.  So, I would show up at the NICU, pumped milk in hand, only to discover that they had already given my baby formula. This was not ok with me, but I had a hard time getting through to the nurses, and they had no problem making me feel like they knew what was best for my baby… not me. By the time I’d dealt with latch issues, plugged milk ducts, mastitis, thrush, not to mention reflux and dairy allergies, my supply began to suffer and I threw in the towel at 3 months with the first, and 6 months with the second.  I went on to breastfeed my third child for 12 months and fourth for 18 months, but again the journey was peppered with latch issues, thrush and sensitivities. I finally sought the help of a lactation consultant and with that support was able to accomplish my breastfeeding goals.  But I was never comfortable breastfeeding in public.  That kind of support was not there.  Not with friends, not with family.  So I was nervous about what other people would think of me, and if they would stare at me, or worse – if they would say something to me.  As a result I just avoided the confrontation wherever possible.  This of course meant arranging my schedule entirely around my babies.
As a birth photographer, I often document baby’s very first latch.  And every time I do I think about what an accomplishment breastfeeding is for some women.  Because of that (coupled my own former inhibitions), I’ve developed a passion for breastfeeding photography.  I love preserving that beautiful and natural bond for mothers.  Over the years I’ve seen that through exposure to these images it has become more “normal” in the public’s eye.  More and more people leave supportive comments.  And mothers come forward saying that they feel a stronger sense of community and support.
Leilani Rogers, Photographer
I started a public breastfeeding project on a whim in 2013, when it dawned on me that I could target specific situations where mothers felt uncomfortable nursing in public by photographing them in those situations. It was World Breastfeeding Week and I wanted to take advantage of the increased interest in breastfeeding to get my message out there. I ran a poll on my Facebook page asking “What is the one place you feel the most uncomfortable NIP (nursing in public)?” and used the answers to schedule my sessions. With about 10 moms in all, I set out to a local church, grocery store, the park, the pool, a mother’s workplace and restaurant.  The response to the images was incredible.  There were  so many different conversations going and I was thrilled to have found a way to intersect my passion for photography with my desire to normalize breastfeeding, while reaching so many people.
leilani5
In 2014 I decided I wanted to make a bigger impact.  A global impact.  I had seen public breastfeeding sessions pop up here and there from other photographers and a lightbulb went off.  I wanted to join forces with other breastfeeding photographers from around the world and flood social media with our beautiful and yet very real images of mothers breastfeeding in real life.  In my mind, each image seen would help break down these barriers breastfeeding mothers face.  And so, with Margaret Mead’s encouragement in mind (“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed it is the only thing that ever has”), I gathered 50+ photographers together and forged a plan.  That plan worked.  It worked very well.  At first I was discouraged because the reach of the images, on Facebook especially, was weak.  And then as I reached out to several news sources our images began popping up everywhere – The Huffington Post, Redbook Magazine, The Stir on Cafemom, Best Daily, Parent Dish, and Babycenter to name a few.
I am amazed at what we accomplished in just 1 week.  We touched so many different people. We generated conversations which are vital to our cause, whether for or against it.  Because that’s how you come to terms with change.  To hear words like “campaign” ,”movement” and “initiative” now be associated with what started as a photography project in invigorating.  I hope to continue to inspire more moms to feel more confident breastfeeding in public rather than hiding in restrooms, or worse, at home. Both by showing that breastfeeding happens in real life and by supporting it when we turn our head in the grocery store and see it happening right in front of us.  PBAP will continue to grow, because I’ve got an awesome team of photographers behind me, and because in front of us lies a world that has apparently been waiting, eagerly, for the stigma to be dropped.
leilani2
Comments
  1. Bryan says:

I totally hear the painful feelings expressed by black women who are shamed for breastfeeding in public. Mostly the blame falls on media outlets for shaming her. No one should be made to feel ashamed of breastfeeding. That’s why I think we need to empathize with each other and not demonize each other. There are certain groups that financially/politically benefit from segregating and alienating people. We need to try to see how all women have needs and feelings can be hurt very easily. If we could just hear eachother and look at each other as human beings the world would be a better place.

2. Mike Russell says:

I personally think that all women should be allowed and ENCOURAGED to breastfeed. Public or private. Breastfeeding is FAR more nutritious for the baby. As a society, we have created the idea that women should keep all of their private parts hidden. As far as that goes, I agree. But we are condemning young women everywhere for simply tending to their child’s needs. Is it taboo for a gynecologist to observe your vagina? Of course not! So why should it be considered taboo to have one of your boobs out to feed and nourish your child? Besides, your child’s health and nourishment should be far more important than what narrow-minded people think.

3. Amber says:

All I saw in the pictures were two mothers nourishing their babies. I nursed both of mine in public. Many people were rude about it, but I just ignored them. Although I did have one woman approach me and congratulate me for being brave enough to w nurse in public. Strangely enough, the praise was unsettling, where the rude comments, stares, etc. never bothered me.

4. Jarene says:

Was not aware of the Australian mother, thanks for this thoughtful analysis. The cultural differences between Australians and Americans regarding breastfeeding are more vast than the differences between Black and White in the US. Thanks for doing what you do! Jarene

1. Thanks for your feedback Jarene!

5. Janelle says:

Yes! All I saw was two hard-working mamas feeding their babies. Who cares where they do it or what color the breast is that feeds them? Sadly the answer to the question is still far too many people.

1. Exactly! Thanks for reading Janelle!

2. Si C says:

Exactly . The setting and country make no difference or at least shouldn’t make a difference . I just saw two strong , hard working women who had got degrees while looking after young children . The pictures were so similar that they were even feeding from the same side . One baby was feeding from a black boob and the other baby was feeding from a white boob , but the most important thing was that they were doing what was natural .

6. Dominique G says:

This was wonderfully written. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Besides race the only issue I see here is that the U.S. has their panties in a twist and they need to get over it.

1. Thank you! Yes, my goal was to show that even though race is an issue, there is a lot more going on here that people don’t see. “Getting over it” is extremely difficult when you’re a woman of color! I love both images, but the media is wrong for spewing hate at Karlesha, and they know it. Thanks for reading! 😉

1. Cameron Buster says:

I think that Dominique was saying that we, as a society, need to get over it. I wish we could get all the people who have shamed Karlesha to apologize. She is beautiful, and even more worthy of admiration BECAUSE she is single, and has accomplished her education and child – rearing On. Her. Own. This is an amazing feat, and I don’t know that I could have done it.

I hope that Kanesha is doing well, and that this disparity shrinks. The statistics are scary, and the problem needs to be solved.

Thank you.

2. Si C says:

It was ridiculous that either woman got any hate at all , but from what I read Karlesha got more . I still don’t get why in the USA people get so uptight about public breastfeeding and I agree there could have been a race issue as well . Both pictures and mothers are beautiful . If anyone was going to be offended about ‘ nudity ‘ it could be argued that Jacci had more flesh on show with her short gown and legs showing and has bigger boobs ! ( so more skin to get upset about ) .

7. Aimee B says:

Wonderfully stated! Both pictures are beautiful. =)

1. Thank you! Yes they are! 🙂

8. Lucy Mills says:

You’re right. Australia is much more open to breastfeeding than the US. Also, it is a private photo which some people believe is more respectful.
    With that being said, I personally think it’s all the same, it’s no big deal and those women are awesome for doing the best they can for their babes!

9. Mangie Sierra says: